Friday, December 30, 2011

Other Stuff, #6, Joy in Washing a Car:

Who would have thought.
I'm not really a car guy.  I do confess to enjoying a nice ride, but I'm not one of the types who takes pleasure in car-ish things per se.  Yet here I was, this morning, taking a strange joy in washing an automobile, and the car isn't even mine.
It's my grandson's.
It is just about the perfect ride for him.  It's a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, a vehicle more associated with young soccer moms, who can't afford the latest auto-fashion, than a young man of seventeen.  But my grandson is a drummer. One of the features he was hoping for in a vehicle was enough room to be able to haul his drums to the next gig.  It's a nice car.  It has some of the typical 12 year old car issues, but all in all quite impressive.
One reason I took such joy in cleaning up his car this morning is he bought the car mostly with his own money.  He landed a job with a landscaper/lawn service company.  That little silver SUV represents a lot of days spent in oppressive heat and humidity, walking behind a lawn mower, running a trimmer or operating the most basic of earth-moving equipment--a long-handled shovel.  He was by far the youngest guy in the crew, but he earned the respect of his coworkers by carrying his own load.  I'm pleased not only that he worked for his car, but that my son and his wife insisted that he do so.  In a day when so many youngsters feel entitled to a car of their own, and way too many parents feel obligated to provide their offspring with one, it is good to see this kind of "work for it" standard.
I took joy, as well, in knowing where my grandson drives that car.  Right after I cleaned it up, it went to get ready for a concert he is playing in this evening.  While his music wouldn't be to the liking of many who read this blog (as if many read this blog), it is music played to the glory of God.  Day before yesterday it went to a Bible study with his pastor and another young man.  I figure there is up to ten percent alcohol in the fuel tank.  I'm confident there is none in the driver's tank.
I guess, bottom line, I just took pleasure in knowing that something good is continuing on.  I felt like Joshua, "As for me and my house we will serve the Lord."  Thanks Christopher for living the kind of life so your Papa can take joy in helping you out.

But don't get your expectations up.  That might be the first and last time it ever happens.

Other Stuff Table of Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment