Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tales From The Hogback #1, Prologue:

Prologue:

Before you get started on these little tales I suppose that I ought to tell you how I came to know about a place that no one else has heard of--well almost no one else.
On a couple of trips to the local fast food joint I had noticed an old gent nursing a cup of coffee and watching the world go by. I can't really say that he looked lonely; it was more like, wise and contented. One day when I saw him I had a few minutes to spare and decided to sit down with him. I didn't ask his name. I figured if he wanted me to know he would tell me. I told him mine and he didn't offer his, so I just left it there. We made small talk. I was about to leave when he asked me what I did. When I told him that I was a preacher it was like I had turned a key in a old lock.
I can't really say that the old man told me the following stories. He just told me about them. He didn't always finish one before he'd tell part of another. In fact he never really told one from beginning to end. We'd just be talking and then all at once we were up on Hog Back Ridge. I've tried to relate them in a manner that is true to what the old gentleman shared with me.
You'll probably enjoy them best if you get yourself a cup of coffee first. My old friend always takes his with lot's of sugar.

The First Tale:

No comments:

Post a Comment